I'm embarking on a project to implement a corporate blogging program. What I'm learning is that it will only work if we are able to fill it with compelling content, add new content daily and attract customers and internet searchers to the site.
I've put some guidelines together for the Executive Team to get them blogging based on a great study conducted by Northeastern University and Backbone Media .
Guidelines for Blogging Success:
- Write a “Good”
- Short – 3 to 6 words (search engines tend to stop reading after 6)
- Accurately describe the topic
- Use a phrase that a customer might search for. A good test is to do a Google search on your title. If Adwords come up in the right column, it means that your title is something people want.
- Transparency – Honest portrayal of Mimeo that matches their experience/expectations
- Entertaining Writing Style and
Personalization – a blogger’s writing style and how much they are willing to
reveal about their life, experience and opinions brings human interest to a
blog, helps build a personal connection with readers and will keep people
reading. Humor, unique personal experience or subject matter passion all
Blogging is a great way to build personal credibility, particularly when approaching the press to do a story . I'll let you know how we do.